Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Music to my eyes!

A few months ago a family that lived across the street moved and left a couple of dressers the managers of the park here were going to throw them away, they were nice and sturdy and had some style and I just couldn't bare for them to get thrown out, so I saved them even though I wasn't sure were I could use them or how I would paint them. One of them I thought I would put in my front living room, and use it for linens and towels, I just wasn't sure how to paint it, I had toyed with the idea of fabric and Modge Podge but I wasn't totally sold on the idea. Finally I had a thought that I would love to incorporate music into the room and since getting a piano isn't an option right now I thought I would use music sheets and Modge Podge.

My inspiration for using music was my Grandpa, he played the organ, I can remember dancing around his living room to his music some of my favorites that he would play were Tea for Two and The Indian love song. My Grandpa went blind do to cancer but that didn't stop him he had a lot of music memorized, I admired him for his love of music and I think that's were my love for music started. I called my mom and asked her to make some copies of the music he played, I then went through my stash of music from high school choir, church hymns and some other music I have sung throughout the yrs. I made copies of all the music, except one book that for some reason I had 2 so I just used the music right out of it.

I wanted the dresser to have an antique look to it, so I tea stained all the music, some darker than others, I just played around with it. After the music was dry I started with the drawers and Modge Podge it on, I wasn't being to picky about how flat it was, some of the paper even tore in spots, but it just added to the look I was going for. Once my surface was covered with music, I put a layer of Modge Podge over the top, while it was drying I worked on the other drawers and then the top of the dresser. Once it was dry I used Dark Walnut wood stain, I painted it on then wiped it off with a paper towel, again playing with it and making some areas darker than others while that dried I painted the dresser black, then ruffed it up and then I brushed the stain over it and wiped with a paper towel. Here are some pictures it turned out awesome!!!
Here's the top it isn't completely finished I am still waiting for the music my mom is sending, but regardless I think it looks awesome!!
I just love looking at it and remembering how music has been such a positive thing in my life. Hopefully a piano will come soon but until then, I am finding other ways to incorporate music in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,
    That is awesome, I love the way that it turned out. Such a fun and creative way decorate! I am totally adding this to my "things I want to do when the husband finishes school list".

    ReplyDelete