Monday, November 9, 2009

Giving Thanks

Since November is the "Give Thanks Month" I have really enjoyed reading the different things people are thankful/grateful for and it got me to thinking, why is it that (and I know I am totally guilty of this) that most of us ONLY give thanks during this month!? Although last month I decided to notice more of my blessings and to be thankful for them, I have been guilty in the past for not really being thankful. So I am going to join in and be write down something everyday that I am thankful for and I am really going to try hard and continue it indefinably, I am not going to end with just this month.

There are many things for me to be thankful for everyday, but it would be impossible for me to write them all down, but I will do my best.

The last week I have been really frustrated with the kids and their rooms, they pull out every single toy, or piece of clothing until they find their "favorite one" leaving the room a complete war zone! I have tried many methods to get them to clean up the latest one was "If you don't keep your rooms clean I will get rid of every single toy you own! I will give it to someone who doesn't have any, cause they would be very grateful I am sure to have just one toy!!", Marryne stopped cold in her tracks and I thought "good I am getting through to her" and then she looked at me and asked "Mom? Other kids don't have toys or t.vs like we do?" I was very surprised at the concern and soberness in her little voice, I told her that was right and I talked to her a little bit about how some people don't have jobs and have families and that they can't afford luxuries like toys and t.v.'s. After we were done cleaning her room she asked me if we could go through her toys and give some of them to the kids that don't have them "so that they can be happy", this brought tears to my eyes she is even willing to give up her favorite stuffed animal so that someone else can be happy. Marryne has always been a nurturer if she sees someone that is sad, or hurt she is always wanting to help them feel better. I am so thankful for Marryne and her sweet, gentle and caring little spirit, I learn so much from her I am thankful to have the privilege of being her mom I love her with all my heart.

Today I felt a little short changed by my hubby, while I worked really hard today and had the house clean and some much needed laundry done, all I heard was the complaint that I hadn't hung up his pants that he needed for work tomorrow. Now the first thing I did with my "I'm annoyed" voice was retort with "THANKS HUNNY FOR WASHING MY PANTS,I REALLY APPRECIATE IT" and he spouted back "THANKS HUNNY FOR PICKING A FIGHT WITH MY WHILE I AM REALLY TIRED" and of course I very loudly said "AND I"M NOT?I AM JUST AS TIRED AS YOU,BUT IF YOU THINK I AM GOING TO LET YOU TREAT ME LIKE THAT WAY YOU ARE CRAZY!" and to that he went to the bedroom and slammed the door. I did stew about it for a few minutes and even shed a few tears, but just as I feel under appreciated I realized he probably does too. I mean he works all day to support our family, on Mondays and Wednesdays he donates plasma just so we can make ends meet, and tonight after he donated he had to run some errands before finally coming home. He didn't get home till after 6 and the kids and I had already eaten, I figured he could fend for himself, and then I reminded him that there was something wrong with the computer mouse cause the curer wouldn't move and he needed to check it out, WOW!! How selfish was eye to see only what I wasn't given credit for instead of realizing him that I never really told him thank you for everything he does or did today! I am truly thankful for my husband and EVERYTHING he does little or big. And tomorrow after he is rested, I will make sure to tell him and yes I will apologize cause sometimes we ( mean us women) can be wrong and this is one of the "special" times that I am willing to admit it and truly mean it ;)

I am also very thankful for the new neighbors that moved in across the street about a month ago, their older kids love playing with my kids and it helps me get much needed work done. They come over and entertain the kids while I am cleaning or just trying to relax, they are so wonderful. We have also stepped out of our over protective box and made new friends and so I am very thankful for that as well.

And I will leave you with how truly grateful I am to have a nice warm bed to crawl into cause as Marryne reminded me "Some people don't have beds. NOPE they don't". I may not have everything I WANT but I do have everything I NEED.

No comments:

Post a Comment