Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Father's Day Batman Tutorial

When I asked the kids what they wanted to get Dane for Father's Day Kaleb spoke up and said "A batman cape towel with a hat!". I dismissed this at first thinking it was kinda silly, but then when I thought about what to get him this kept coming to mind, and I thought well it's really up to the kids so I go the stuff to make it and the kids were thrilled. Marryne took pictures while I put it together, and Kaleb gave his approval when it was all done. Ok so here is the tutorial for the hooded batman towel..



For this project you will need:

Black Bath Towel (I used a Bath Sheet)
2 black wash cloths
Yellow Hand towel
Batman symbol Template
Scissors
Fabric Glue
Fray Check



1. Lay out your black towel and decided where you want the symbol to be. I centered mine by folding the towel in half and marking the center, then pin your template to your towel. I free handed my template (sorry no pictures), but you can print them off the web. Once pinned cut out your template.
2. Next take your yellow hand towel and cut out an oval that's about 3 inch's bigger than your template like so...
3. Using your fabric glue, glue the yellow oval, behind your opening..
It should look like this. Once your yellow towel is glued on, you can glue the bat on.
It should look like this, when your done. Now you can leave it like it is and just fray check all the raw edges or you can do what I did and sew a tight zig zag around the symbol to give it a more professional look(not shown here).

To make the hood, I used to black wash clothes, I just sewed them together in a hood shape then attached it to the towel, centering the hood on the towel. Kaleb was thrilled that daddy now has a cool towel like his, not to mention Dane is Kaleb's hero and what better way to show it then a cool towel like this!

These towels are so much fun and the things you can do with them are endless, you can make up your own design, personalize with a letter, you can pretty much do whatever comes to mind!

1 comment:

  1. What did Dane think of it? That's a way cute idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete