Sunday, July 12, 2009

Never Ever!!!

I found out today that you can bake bread in a crock pot on the stove!!! How is this possible you ask!? Well have I got a story for you, this afternoon I decided that I wanted to have some nice home made bread to go with my jam, simple you would think because I have made bread lot's of times, yeah well today it wasn't so simple. It all started when I could find my recipe! (yeah I know I shouldn't need a recipe, but I haven't made it in awhile and I wanted to be sure and not guess!) I finally found it at the bottom of my recipe book cupboard all crinkled up! So now I have the recipe I get everything out and got started. I put the yeast in the water with the sugar to make sure it is still good, while I was talking to Dana about the phone conversation I just had with my mom about my brother breakin his arm (that's a whole other story!=)) Marryne decided she was going to help and she promptly pour a 1/4 CUP of salt into the mixture, not only is that WAY to much salt but it also killed my yeast!! So no big deal, I dump it (much to Dana's disappointment that it got wasted. Sorry hun!!) and started again, this time I measured and put in all of the ingredients(cause Marryne was banned from the kitchen =()and I forgot the salt!! No big deal that's happened before and the bread has been just fine plus I am going to mix it with more dough anyway to do a double batch. So when I mixed the second batch I made sure I put in the salt, kneaded the dough and put it in the crock pot pot (glass or stone is better to rise dough than plastic or metal.) and set in on the stove and out of the way to rise. I am in and out of the kitchen and the dough is rising beautifully, we sit down to eat dinner and I figure after we are done eating I will make the loafs and put them in the oven. I pull the crock pot off the stove and it feels a little warm, but it was on the stove and the stove was hot cause we just got done cooking dinner so I don't think anything about it until I put my hand in the dough and find that it is very HOT. The top of the dough was fine I managed to pull enough out to make 1 loaf of bread, but the bottom half was cooked I mean really cooked, it was nice and brown on the bottom!! So still you are askin how in the world did it get cooked!? And my answer to that would be some advice NEVER EVER put the bowl of dough on the burner were the heat from the stove comes out!! That is what I did. I found all of this really funny I think someone out there really didn't want me to have home made bread with my homemade jam!! It does make me wonder though, I wonder if I could cook a pizza in the crock pot! I think I feel an experiment coming on!!! =)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I never ever would have thought to cook bread in a crock pot...but I've heard of cooking cake in a crock pot so I bet it can be done. Let me know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete